Founded in 1934, IHFRA was the result of a group of aggressive sales representatives who recognized the value of having a venue for representatives from across the country to join together and benefit from each other’s immense knowledge and experience. IHFRA’s purpose is to promote the professionalism, productivity and prestige of home furnishings representatives; to promote the furniture industry, and to protect and promote the representatives’ position within the industry. Originally located in Chicago and known as the National Wholesale Representatives Association, it later evolved into the International Home Furnishings Representatives Association (IHFRA) headquartered in High Point NC. IHFRA is the central hub of communications and programs for home furnishings representatives. Programs range from the industry’s only recognized certification program, the Certified Home furnishings Representative (CHR) Program to a variety of insurance programs, free legal consultation, job postings through the Opportunity Center, discounts on travel expenses and industry publications, software programs geared specifically for home furnishings representatives and various other goods and services. Members’ voices are heard through IHFRA’s representation on the Boards of NHFA and the High Point Market Authority.
IHFRA Fact Sheet
- Established in 1934, focusing on the needs and interests of the sales reps in the furnishings industry.
- Nearly 2000 members across the US and Canada
- Dedicated to furthering the business objectives of sales representatives, providing services and savings benefits that allow their members to work smarter and more efficiently.
- Provide a link between the manufacturer and the rep for career opportunities.
- Savings benefits also are a value to retailers. Deals and offers are made available to members because of the power of our groups size.
- Industry Service Providers (logistics, promotional companies, etc) join for access to reps across the country. Allows them the opportunity to be informed of ways where their company can be more visible to reps.
- Partnerships with organizations and companies within the industry, such as Renegade, allow IHFRA to have a deeper reach and knowledge of the needs of all areas within the furnishings industry.
- IHFRA currently has ties with the Textile Association (ITA) and the Casual Market Association (ICFA) which give the organization a broader representation within the industry. Opening doors for enhanced benefits and services available to membership.
- One of IHFRA’s goals is to open the lines of communication with other industry organizations and companies to provide its members with more knowledge, education, industry insight, and business enhancement.
- As the representation for sales reps in the furnishings industry, IHFRA strives to make the reps role more visible and valuable to both retailers and manufacturers. If all 3 components in the sales process are working in harmony the industry will flourish.
IHFRA Continues to Raise the Bar!
We at IHFRA have been focused on creating a higher level of professionalism and service to our members. Everything starts with the core beliefs of our organization. Vision, leadership and initiative are all key and we are fortunate that our team, Ray Allegrezza, Executive Director and Bonnie Wallace, Operations Manager, bring those tools to the office each day. Allegrezza, the former Editor in Chief at Furniture/Today is well-versed in all aspects of this industry and even before joining IHFRA was a staunch advocate of the independent home furnishings rep. Wallace, meanwhile, spent years at FMG and her knowledge of the industry makes her an invaluable part of this high-energy team. Since Allegrezza and Wallace joined IHFRA, they have brought a host of new initiatives, including a brand new website and a host of new benefits to our growing list of members., IHFRA continuously upgrades our benefit package by adding new money-saving member benefits. Another major initiative set to roll out shortly is a long-awaited education program that will help members take themselves and their selling skills to the next level. . We want to empower the next generation of representatives to be stronger and more professional. The newly re-imagined Rep Ambassador program has been a great asset for our Association. Reps from all across the U.S. have committed to promote IHFRA to non-member reps and to educate current members on all the benefits available to them as members of IHFRA. These Ambassadors will be the cheerleaders for IHFRA in the furniture industry. IHFRA has partnered with many of the furniture industry associations/organizations in an effort to unite the industry even further. IHFRA is partnering with the North American Home Furnishings Association, High Point Market Authority, the International Casual Furniture Association, The International Textile Manufacturing Association, WithIt (Women in the Furniture Industry), the Sustainable Furniture Council, Hall of Fame, American Society of Furniture Designers, and Furniture Today. We are also working directly with High Point University toeducate students on what it means to be part of the furniture industry.
Meet the Board and Staff
Mission and Vision
Our Mission: To provide education, professional standards and services, legislative advocacy and communications for our membership to remain a viable, responsive and financially secure organization. Our Vision: To improve the value and contribution of the home furnishings representative to the industry, manufacturers, retailers, and our families.